DSN: Security Alert - Meltdown & Spectre
As reported by recent headlines, Meltdown & Spectre are two major vulnerabilities newly disclosed by multiple security teams.Affected Devices
All devices using Intel processors released since 1995, some devices using AMD and ARM processors.What Can You Do
Since these vulnerabilities must be exploited on a local machine, all security best practices still apply:
- Make sure that you patch your software
- Make sure antivirus is working and up to date
- Use spam filtering for email
- Don't click on links in emails
- Don't run new/questionable software until is vetted by IT
- Don't open files from untrusted sources
- Notify IT immediately of any suspicious behavior
We also recommend the following security best practices:
- Use complex passwords. We strongly recommend using a password manager such as OnePass or LastPass
- Implement 2-factor authentication
- Avoid using open/free Wifi hot spots. If you must use them, make sure to use VPN software
All major device & OS manufacturers are working on releasing patches to address these vulnerabilities.
Langtech is also evaluating its clients’ environments and will be reaching out to each client individually if further action is required.
Please contact us at (415) 364-9610 or email email@example.com if you have any questions/concerns or would like assistance.